Tel Aviv Museum of Art
Tel Aviv Museum of Art
Located in Israel’s capital city for the arts, culture, entertainment and gallery life, the Tel Aviv Museum of Art is the nation’s leading institution of modern and contemporary art. Welcoming more than half a million people annually, the Museum serves as a cultural hub for Tel Aviv’s artists and cultural community and for visitors from around the world.
The Museum organizes some twenty special exhibitions each year; presents a busy schedule of lectures, concerts, dance performances and film screenings; offers guided tours, schools programs and workshops in the main building and the off-site Meyerhoff Art Education Center; and maintains a permanent collection of some 35,000 paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings, photographs, videos and works of architecture and design.
The main complex of the Museum is in the heart of Tel Aviv at 27 Shaul Hamelech Boulevard, adjacent to the Golda Meir Cultural & Art Center (with the New Israeli Opera and the Cameri Theater) and the Beit Ariela Municipal Library. The Museum’s Helena Rubinstein Pavilion for Contemporary Art is a few blocks to the southwest at 6 Tarsat Boulevard, near the Mann Auditorium and Habima.
Israeli art: The Museum has a comprehensive collection of a century of Israeli art, from works associated with the founding of the Bezalel School of Art in Jerusalem in 1906 through works by contemporary Israeli artists who are integral to today’s international discourse.
International Painting and Sculpture: The Museum’s collection represents the leading pioneers of modernism and a selection of the diverse contemporary trends in Europe and the United States. The modern collection includes works by Monet, Renoir, Degas, Pissarro, Bonnard, Cézanne, van Gogh, Gauguin, Matisse, Picasso, Léger, Braque, Kandinsky, Klimt, Chagall, Mondrian, Modigliani and Miró, among others. There are also strong representations of Russian Constructivism; Surrealism; Abstract Expressionism; and modern sculpture (Arp, Calder, Giacometti, Moore, Lipchitz). The contemporary collection represents postwar movements such as Nouveau Réalisme, Fluxus and Arte Povera and includes works by artists ranging from Gerhard Richter and Anselm Kiefer to Anish Kapoor, Dan Graham and Ghada Amer.
Photography: The photography collection encompasses important pictures of the Middle East taken by 19th and early 20th century Europeans such as Francis Frith, Félix Bonfils and E.M. Lilien; works by American photojournalists including Robert Capa, W. Eugene Smith and Weegee; and modern and post-modern photographers ranging from Henri Cartier-Bresson to Shirin Neshat. The representation of Israeli photography includes works by internationally known artists including Adi Nes, Pavel Wolberg, Barry Frydlender and Michal Rovner.
Prints and Drawings: The Museum holds more than 25,000 works on paper, with a strong representation of German Expressionism and of 19th century and modern masters including Constable, Rossetti, Pissarro, Degas, Munch, Matisse, Picasso, Gris, Chagall, Modigliani and Giacometti. The Department of Prints and Drawings also holds a substantial group of works on paper by artists living in Israel.
Design and Architecture: The Design and Architecture Department collects both within Israel and internationally. The department is establishing a new Archive of Israeli Architecture, to serve as a resource for researchers and practicing architects.
Old Masters: Although it is primarily an institution of modern and contemporary art, the Museum holds examples of 16th to 18th century Italian art; 16th and 17th century Dutch and Flemish art; and works by 19th century Jewish artists such as Maurycy Gottlieb and Jozef Israëls.
The Tel Aviv Museum of Art was established in 1931 by the first mayor of Tel Aviv, Meir Dizengoff, with the receipt of a work by Marc Chagall (Jew with Torah, 1925, gouache on paper mounted on panel, TAMA No. 1) as a gift of the artist. The work was installed in the Museum’s original building, the mayor’s residence at 16 Rothschild Boulevard, which was redesigned by architect Carl Rubin to serve as a public institution and opened officially as the Tel Aviv Museum on April 2, 1932. The building was subsequently expanded in the International Style by Rubin and re-opened in February 1936. The Museum was the site where Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion declared the establishment of the State of Israel on May 14, 1948. No longer used by the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, this building now serves as Independence Hall.
The Helena Rubinstein Pavilion for Contemporary Art opened in January 1959 at 6 Tarsat Boulevard, near the original building. Designed by Yaacov Rechter and Dov Carmi, the three-story, 12,800-square-foot building features four galleries for temporary exhibitions and a library. The Helena Rubinstein Pavilion was intended to be a wing of a future Tel Aviv Museum of Art to be built on this site, as part of a complex including the Mann Auditorium (also designed by Rechter and Carmi). The Pavilion continues to serve as a facility for the Museum’s temporary exhibitions.
The site for the main building of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art was subsequently moved to 27 Shaul Hamelech Boulevard, next to the site for the Ministry of Justice, and in 1964 the architects Dan Eytan and Yitzchak Yashar were selected to design the facility through a competition. Their 175,000-square-foot building, designed in a Brutalist style, opened in April 1971.
The Museum’s 11,300-square-foot Sculpture Garden was inaugurated in 1996. An expansion of the main building, the 32,300 square-foot Gabrielle Rich Wing designed by Dan Eytan, opened in November 1999.
New Building The Herta and Paul Amir Building of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art, designed by Preston Scott Cohen, Inc., is scheduled to open on November 2, 2011. This freestanding new 195,000-square-foot building will house an installation of the Museum’s comprehensive collection of Israeli art, as well as its architecture and design galleries, prints and drawings galleries, photography study center and gallery, art library, new auditorium, a large gallery for temporary exhibitions and public amenities.
Mon, Wed 10.00 - 16.00
Tues, Thurs 10.00 - 22.00
Fri 10.00 - 14.00
Sat 10.00 - 16.00
For more information:
Tel: +972-(0)3-6077020 , +972-(0)3-6077000
Reservations by phone: 14.00-21.00
to visit the Tel Aviv Museum of Art Website.